In the graveyard is St. Mark's Cross (above). This is a 14ft high granite cross from the early church at Burgage, now submerged by the Blessington Lake.
Blessington was formerly
called Baile Coimin and then Burgage until 1680. In early times there
were three Churches - Kilmalum, Three Castles and Burgage. In 1547 there
were two chaplains, one at Burgage and the other at Three Castles. The
Church stood high above the Liffey beside a ford and it appears to have
been an important ecclesiastical settlement in the early Irish Christian
period. The district was first called Burgage in 1547 and continued to
be known by that name until the erection of the village and church in
1683. The word 'Buirghis' (Burris) signifies burgage or borough. The borough
of Blessington returned two members of the Irish parliament until the
Union. £15,000 was paid to the Marquis of Downshire as compensation
for the loss of this privilege. The name Blessington comes from Blessing
in the biblical sense of a gift or favour.
personal reflection of coming to Blessington
Manor of Blessington Created by Michael Boyle
mapping of the Ordinance Survey across the Wicklow Gap in 1839
in the Blessington Area
Placenames around Blessington
Battle in the Hayfield.